The Site History
Walthamstow Stadium in East London was a greyhound racing stadium which opened in 1933. Races were held five times a week with up to 5,000 spectators until it closed in 2008. Motorcycle Speedway was staged at the stadium in 1934 and 1949-1951. Stock car racing also took place in the stadium between 1962 and 1968.
The Entrance Range and the Tote Board are of Art Deco style and are Grade II listed. Neon lights were added to the signage in 1951 to illuminate them for the Coronation. The kennels were constructed in the 1930’s and comprise their own mini tote board which is also listed. In October 2012 the final go-ahead was given to redevelop the stadium for residential and commercial units.