BAM Nuttall have been employed by Royal Mail Group to remediate and procure the infrastructure for the Old South London Mailing Centre site. The 6a site is located in one of London’s busiest areas and is adjacent to the famous Battersea Power station which can be seen in the background overlooking the site.
The site itself has some significant challenges which BAM Nuttall have been undertaking. This includes the remediation and cleaning of the soil and the deconstruction of the old Nine Elms gasworks.
The site will play host to 8 new plots which will be taken over by developers; these plots will consist of high-rise homes, a primary school and 2.5 ha of new public space.
Gattica were employed under BAM Nuttall as an advisor for the detail design package that had been issued to BAM. Working alongside Peter Brett Associates, Gattica undertook the following:
- Redesign of conceptual 2D utility layout.
- Details of structures and pipe networks provided for construction team.
- Assisting the highways engineers with the design of above ground utility equipment.
- Installation of a Thames Water district meter area.
- Coordination of services around the new Thames Tideway sewer.
- Procurement of a designer’s risk assessment for handover to plot developers to avoid further hazards with utility infrastructure.
- Design of S278 works.
- Liaising with the statutory authorities and obtaining approvals of design drawings.